Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Testimony of an Adult Literacy Learner


VALF will be sharing stories from adult learners.  Read this one to get a better understanding of what it feels like to not be able to read.  It is from Gadsden County Public Library, Quincy, Florida, Literacy Volunteers of America (LVA)
VALF Member
In their own words.......
                In the beginning, I was trying to see if my tutor was serious about helping me, so I would leave with the van driver when I was suppose to meet with Mrs. Hall.  I wanted to see if she would give up on me like other people did, but she didn’t. 
She did not yell at me or give up on me she talks nice to me all the time.  Sometimes I tell her that if she is willing to teach a dummy like me, then I want to learn, but she says I’m no dummy.  She says I learn different from other people.  Mrs. Hall told me not to call myself no dummy and I don’t anymore.  Our school time makes me feel good about me.  I have learned how to write my name on my license and that made me feel big.  Now I am no longer Mr. X. I want to keep seeing Mrs. Hall and for as long as it takes because I want to go all the way to grade 12.
                                                                                                 Adult Learner, Age 84

No comments:

Post a Comment